Early Years & Playwork
Paediatric first aid training is required by the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Statutory Framework and Ofsted for all primary schools, nurseries and early years providers (those dealing with the under 8’s).
Current EYFS statutory framework requires at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate to be on the premises or outings at all times, when children are present.
From September 2016 all newly qualified early years staff are also to hold a current Paediatric First Aid (PFA) or emergency PFA certificate in order to be included in the required staff: child ratios in an early years setting.
We offer 3 courses (plus various combinations):
- ITC Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid – 12 hours, designed for workers caring for children in the absence of their parents. This qualification meets Ofsted requirements for those working in early years settings and uses the criteria for effective paediatric first aid training found in Appendix 1 of The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Practice Guidance document.
- ITC Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work – 6 hours. This is Unit 1 of the above course.
- Forest School First Aid (ITC) – 16 hours (2 days), designed with the help of ‘Archimedes Training’ the key Forest Schools national training organisation in England. The course content and context is totally integrated with the Forest School ethos and rationale. It should be the course of choice for the Forest School practitioner. As the course has a large outdoor element it also satisfies the needs of many NGB Outdoor Instructor awards and would be particularly suitable for leaders delivering bush craft and camp craft, Scout leaders or teachers supervising D of E expeditions or school camps.
- NB it is possible to do a one day Forest School course to supplement say a one or two day paediatric course
- Note: the standard Forest School First Aid course does not cover infants, it is not a paediatric course. If you need a Paediatric first aid qualification then you need the 12 hour ITC Paediatric First Aid course which is on the RQF or a bespoke Outdoor Paediatric First Aid course (16 hours) with certification from ITC First. Alternatively, if both Level 3 Paediatric and Forest School First Aid certificates are needed it is possible to combine the two in an intensive 16 hour course and dual certify. There would be an extra charge for this as all candidates would need to be registered and assessed for both courses…but a lot cheaper in cost and time than doing the two courses separately. Please contact us to discuss your needs and options.