Course: ITC Sport First Aid (SFA1 + SFA2), 14 hours
This course is designed for the sports first aider who will need knowledge and practice of emergency life-saving first aid as well as the managing and dealing with common sports injury situations. Especially useful for the Pitch-side First Aider. What do you have to think about when running onto the pitch with your first aid kit bag?
This qualification is based upon 2 modules, each of which are certificated and are ITC courses in their own right.
Suitable for the validation of most coaching awards, which now demand a minimum up-to-date first aid qualification as part of their validity.
- Ideal for the sports person, sports teacher, coach, personal trainer, leisure centre or gym instructor.
- It can be tailored to any sport including: athletic events, team sports, disability sports, water sports and adventure sports.
Course duration: 7 hours / 14 hours
ITC Sport First Aid Emergency Action (SFA1), 7 hours
This is an emergency first aid module containing all current basic life support procedures mapped to the UK and European Resuscitation Council guidelines with emphasis on sporting situations. E.g. practicing CPR in a spectator environment. Successful completion of this course may result in certification or candidates may go on to complete the full Sport First Aid course.
ITC Sport Injury & Pitchside Return to Play Decisions (SFA2), 7 hours
This module examines the decisions made by the sports first aider in the sports arena or club training night. This training is highly relevant to those who work in the leisure or sport team environments. This stand alone module may be taken in isolation or form the second part of the full 2-day Sport First Aid course. Part of Day 2 is outdoors so appropriate clothing needs to be worn.
Assessment and certification
- Certification is from ITC First. Certificates are valid for three years.
- Certification is dependent on successful continuous assessment on the course.
- Those candidates who complete the course and reach the required standard will receive the award.
Course Content: ITC Sport First Aid (Units 1 & 2)
- Safe best practice and awareness of current regulations
- Sports specific practical scenario training
- A systematic approach to incident management
- Vital signs
- Monitoring conscious casualties
- Unconsciousness, causes and treatment; safe airway positions
- External bleeding, internal bleeding and shock
- CPR Resuscitation procedures and use of an AED
- Assessing and treating common sporting injuries – head, neck, spine & limb
- Recognition of concussion – use of Maddock’s questions
- Soft tissue injuries, strains and sprains – when to and when not to use ice
- Cease to play decisions
- Interactive hands on training indoors and outside
- Professional trainer(s) *
- One CPR training manikin to two participants
- Comprehensive and easy to follow manual
- An accredited and recognised certificate valid for 3 years
* Trainers are experienced professionals – chosen for their skills as a trainer and experience as outdoor/ sports practitioners used to working with groups in their sporting environment. They have an active interest in First Aid training and an understanding of the specific needs of various sporting and outdoor environments.